Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Update from Stalag Leuven!

Writing smuggled out from cell 3006, wing E403, women’s unit.

My incarceration began on Sunday evening when the administrator attached an identity tag to my wrist; I am reduced to a number. I share my cell with a quiet Ghanaian lady with a very loud whirling dervish of a son, called Dennis, who comes to visit. This always livens up the place. I’m situated next to the window, and so have a pleasant view of a 1970’s concrete building with a strip of grass in front of it, occasionally rabbits like to visit to eat the new shoots. The exercise yard is in front of the complex, a three tiered pond filled with goldfish, other sorts of fish and ducks. Inmates from all over the complex congregate there, the saddest of which are the pitiful addicts puffing away on their cigarettes whilst strapped to all sorts of strange and perhaps torturous contraptions.

My cell guards are very pleasant and the food is also good and plentiful – I suspect this is all to keep the inmates compliant for when they run their experiments. Like vampires they descend regularly for blood, and I’m attached daily to monitor machines that record the baby’s heartbeat. However, the baby is on to their Orwellian ways and refuses to lie still long enough for “big brother” to track him!

What?! You don’t believe me? Come see for yourself!!


In all honesty, Leuven is not all that bad and I’m in the best of hands for looking after me and the baby. We’re getting the best of care and even the slightest change in either of our condition is investigated – and found to be normal. The baby is driving the staff nuts by not staying still for the monitor, so it’s likely that we’ll be heading off for another ultrasound (echo). This baby is destined for a career on TV with the amount of time he has spent on the small screen already!

The professor has been to visit and is happy with both my and the baby’s condition. I’m not sure if it’s a threat or a good thing but he mentioned that perhaps we can delay the procedure until 37 weeks! J He did mention that it’s difficult to measure how the baby is progressing, they don’t have anything to compare it too, but he’s moving about so much and so strongly that they believe this to be a healthy indication. Of course if anything changes, my waters break or our condition deteriorates then they will reconsider. The main reason for me to be here is as they can respond quickly to the slightest change, and we both find that very reassuring.

Thijs is here to visit and if that wasn’t fabulous enough, he came bearing packages! I have a beautiful flower arrangement as a gift from him to brighten and perfume the room, which is wonderful as the room is very dull.

My dad had posted even more clothes for the baby – I think my dad is determined that this will be the most fashionable of grandchildren!

The biggest box was from our friend Lol, who’s living out in America at the moment. When we opened it, it was fantastic. We felt like we were having one of those parties that they throw for parents to be in the USA, a baby shower. Package after package of the most gorgeous Winnie the Pooh baby room items were opened and admired. Even the staff commented on the lovely and sometimes unique items. A huge thank you from us Lol, we’re overwhelmed. Plus the timing was fantastic and cheered us up no end!

Thijs loves the canteen; he can enjoy a Duvel or a Blonde with his meal plus they are cheaper than in the Netherlands. I love that they have Stella Artois non-alcoholic beer, so at least I don’t feel too left out!

It’s great that people have phoned, keeping me in touch with the outside world! I’ve also have a few visitors coming to see me which I’m looking forward too and Bart is fixing me up with some viewing material. Daytime TV is awful whether in Belgium or the Netherlands!

Well that’s all the news from Stalag Leuven, I just hope Thijs can smuggle this out undetected. I shall leave his hiding place a secret as some things are best left unsaid!

Love to you all,

Louise – Prisoner 62075924

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Thijs and Louise,

Good to read that everything seems to be well prepared and that the baby is doing better than expected and that you haven't lost your sense of humour.I'm hoping with you that this will turn out to be one hell of a healthy TV-star.

Good luck, Rudi Verhoeven (friend of Maarten O.)

Anonymous said...

You should write a book Lou - I was really getting into the mystery :) Good to see you and bub are doing well. I'll see if I can track down a Drizabone for the bub.

cul8r
xx
Greg n family