Monday, October 27, 2008

Update from the Ronald McDonald House, Rotterdam.

Noah had a few episodes that required the nurses to breath for him, but everyone saw a difference in him by the end of the day. He really takes comfort from us being here and that makes it all worthwhile.
Today Noah had an echo on his heart but we won't know the results until after the doctors have compared it with previous echos. His belly is very distended and hard, he received water medication in the hope that he can urinate a lot of the excess away but for now this symptom remains under high observation. Noah also received some medication for his lungs to help him shake loose some of the phlegm and this did seem to make a difference. Tomorrow another echo will be done to look at the fluid in his belly.
The Ronald McDonald house is thankfully very comfortable and of a very high standard. We were able to cook a meal and make sandwiches for tomorrow, which helps us to feel a little bit more normal in this situation. It's wonderful that such facilities are available for parents.
It's been a very long day - we left Noah trying to fight sleep by boxing his mobile animals. His eyes were rolling around in his head so I'm sure as soon as we were out the door he was busy counting sheep - now it's time for Thijs and I to do the same!

The Drostens

UPDATE - 27Oct midday

Noah had a restful night, only one episode which is an improvement on the previous night. I was able to get in early to see Noah this morning since I'm so lovely and close by in the Ronald McDonald House. His little face showed how surprised he was and then lit up with a big grin. My heart melted.
I took care of him instead of the nurse, which was great. He had a restful bed wash, (putting in his bath would take up too much of his valuable energy at this time), which I followed with changing his cannule band. This he didn't like at all. I think he's a bit hyper sensitive because of all the people that have been prodding and poking at him these last few days, so he got very upset and had an episode. However, he didn't need medication to calm down, so that is also an improvement.
Once he was dressed he lay in my arms and drank 80ml of his milk, only needing to take 20ml via his food tube (sonder). He had a little play with his baby gym, taking his frustration out by whacking all the toys! I left him sleeping peacefully. I'm also off for a little nap, (it was a long night!) and I'll go back in time to express some milk for his afternoon feed around 3pm. It's too early to say for sure, but Thijs and I are hopeful that he's turning the corner. The doctors are still investigating the cause, no results back yet.

Louise

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just found your blog. I am in Arizona and my son was born at UC San Francisco with Chaos in May. He has just come home from the hospital and we are caring for him now at home. I would love to trade stories. I have also contacted another family in Illinois and they have a son with CHAOS too. You can contact me at mlange@fmsolutions.net.

Good luck to you and your family. Thank goodness for the Ronald McDonald house, we stayed at one for over 3 months!

Anonymous said...

Tijd voor ons om vaker naar de mac te gaan ;)
zonder dollen, heel veel sterkte met Noah en zorg goed voor hem én jullie zelf!

JourneyingSalmon said...

Thanks Tom,
And yes - we're so impressed with the facilities here. It's really good for people that are very far away from home, or like us just needing to be close to their kid. They are busy building a new House which is connected to the hospital by a corridor. It's even closer and more luxurious.
So I say enjoy those burgers - now they are even guilt free, what's a few calories when you are doing so much good?! ;)

Lorraine said...

Get well soon wee man :-)

Lorraine xx

Berbera said...

We keep our fingers crossed for you and the little man. All the best and take care.

Berbera

Unknown said...

Thank you for getting in touch wewill contact you later when we have a real computer instead of this palm.

Anonymous said...

Hi Thijs and Louise,

We haven't had time to read your blog in a while so the latest messages were a bit disturbing to say the least. Hope that all goes well. The three of your (four if you count Lilo :^) are in our thoughts...

JourneyingSalmon said...

Thanks all for your comments. It's all been a bit scary, but it feels better to be close by Noah and that not only helps him but us too. :)

Ritchie said...

Hi snod I have posted this twice coz I am a tub and I cant work it out. I have called you a couple of times. When you are rested up and back home call me for a wee chin wag. I hope you are all doing well. Kelly and kinds all send you guys our love. I hope the wee man is siting up and pulling faces soon. Can Waite to see some more of the footage you guys up loaded.
Give my love to tighs and give my big sis a hug from me.
Love you snode
Snitch

JourneyingSalmon said...

thanks Stitchie,

We'll probably be here a while but I'll call you when I can.

xxx to all,

Snody