Saturday, July 12, 2008

High in Leuven

It's now 4 days after the birth of our wonderful little man, and I still haven't stopped smiling. At first I thought it was the drugs, but I'm unhooked now for 2 days, so it can only be the euphoria! For that natural high, I can recommend giving birth instead of weed anyday! ;)

Luckily recovering from the operation hasn't been as traumatic as I expected. The staff here at Leuven are really wonderful. They help if you need it but give you as much independance as you need. I would describe recovery as more uncomfortable than painful and for that I am very greatful. I might have been a roughty toughty member of the armed forces in my previous life, but I'm still a wimp when it comes to pain! When I look at what my son is putting up with, he is a great inspiration for me to get strong as quickly as possible.
Noah is in the neo-natal unit on the floor below me. He's in an open incubator, which looks like a table top with removable plastic sides, which is under a heating element to keep his body temparature stable. It's a bit daunting to see all the drips, wires and monitors attached to his little arms and legs. The nurses spend some time to explain what everything is there for, I find it difficult to absorb all the information but it's reassuring to know he's having the best of care. The main thing I'm so proud of him because every day his condition improves and he's on less and less medical support. He's such a little fighter. He's still on a drip because they found a slight blockage in his bowels. Luckily it was nothing to worry about, but they are always behaving on the cautious side, so they are waiting a few days to ensure the opening remains open and that he can evacuate without assistance before giving him his mummy's milk. Hopefully they will start him on his milk tomorrow.

I previously only managed to spend short amounts of time with Noah, but yesterday I felt strong enough to spend a good hour with him. It was great. I told him about all the family that's eagerly awaiting him and passed on all the good wishes from everyone. I was able to read him a story from his Woezel and Pip book, and quizzed him about any future aspirations he might have. I offered up Rugby, Swimming, Cricket, Rugby, Ice skating, cycling, Rugby, Hockey, Rugby - sadly only Hockey got a response. I'm afraid my son is more Dutch than Welsh! However, this could all change when grampy Bazzard presents him with his first welsh rugby outfit - I'll keep you informed! ;)
I've inspected Noah from head to toe for family resemblance. Luckily he doesn't have his opa Drosten ears, he does does have his dad's little nose and the Widdershoven big toe. Strangely though, he has my friend Lol's elongated middle toe - I'm not sure how that got in the genetic mix! He has beautiful blond hair, and the cutest little mouth ever. This is where I have the potential to go on and on about how perfect he is in every way, so I'll spare you all and stop now.

Yesterday our friends Willie and Sandra came to visit. Noah recieved his first of his "Toys that makes Noise". Since it was Winnie the pooh, I'm not sure who will have more fun, me or Noah! It was Thijs' birthday yesterday, and so they also brought along a fantastic apple tart which we all enjoyed a taste of. Visiting regulations for Noah are quite strict, so we didn't go and visit Noah but we showed them the photo's that Anneke had taken of him. Amongst the photo's was a shot of me prior to giving birth. Willie laughed and said how much I resembled Fat Bastard (a villain charachter from the Austin Powers movies - not complimentary). The weekly squash sessions makes Willie surprisingly agile and swift. I blame my stitches for slowing me down. On reviewing the hospital security tapes later, it was discovered that Willie managed to escape the hospital confines by disguising himself in a Burqua and blending in with a crowd of Nomadic moslims heading towards the car park. I will find you Willie!!! ;)

Well, I'm gearing up for my overdue first shower this morning. After that Thijs and I are heading off to visit Noah and have a little chat and read him his story. I'll see if he's had a change of heart vis a vis his Rugby aspirations - I'm nothing if not persistant!
That's all from Leuven, love and best wishes to you all, and please keep the comments coming, they are great to read.

xxx Louise, Thijs and Noah

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I offered up Rugby, Swimming, Cricket, Rugby, Ice skating, cycling, Rugby, Hockey, Rugby - sadly only Hockey got a response.

you should try klootschieten or boerengolf, it works!

Anonymous said...

Bastard Willie himself to make you laugh with all those stitches!Great to read Noah's health is improving! He looks very sweet, the second most beautiful baby (haha). Keep up the drinking and sleeping (as far as your natural high prevents you from sleeping as it did in my case)

Liefs, Lia, Antoine en Emma en een knuffel voor Noah (beauuuuutiful name by the way)

Anonymous said...

I barely escaped with my life (Louise has a mean bedpan throw in her right arm).

Anonymous said...

How many weeks prem was he Snoddy?

JourneyingSalmon said...

hahaha Tom, I'll try those ones tomorrow. I'm already happy, no response to Rugby yet, but we did get a good wiggle to taking up the bagpipes - so there's hope for him still! :)

thanks Verbruggen family, great to see you online ;) Knuffel is on it's way being delivered by oma and opa and pappa right now.

Greg, Noah was 6 weeks early. delivered at 34 weeks and 3 days.

xLouise

JourneyingSalmon said...

Keep running Willie - I'm getting stronger every day! Grrrr! ;))

Anneke said...

Most unimpressed to read comments about how any other baby could top this one :-) While I make it a habit to disagree with La Louise wherever I can, in this case she is right, he is perfect.

Having said that, I see I have my work cut out for me protecting Nephew from bagpipes, rugby and other ungodly ideas his parents come up with. I will corrupt this one if it is the last thing I do, I will sow and reap by the time he hits puberty.

X
Aunt "checking for horns" Anneke

Anonymous said...

Having said that, I see I have my work cut out for me protecting Nephew from bagpipes, rugby and other ungodly ideas his parents come up with. I will corrupt this one if it is the last thing I do, I will sow and reap by the time he hits puberty.

If you need help call me! it's going to be a hell of a job! I hope his first beer will be a grolsch and the music will be oerend hard!

Anneke said...

I am well on my way. Claudia just left and I have bags full of toys that make noise as well as a fabulous racing track with big plastic cars. The thing that cracked me up is the workbench with plastic tools... You may think the DIY is finally done.. noooo :-))

JourneyingSalmon said...

Boer Tom,
You will be pleased to know that klootschieten got a very firm yes! We even asked if he was sure, even though he would only be famous in the achter hoek - but Noah was firm in his convictions - so champion Klootschieter in the making here!
As for the beer, Thijs thinks his first beer will be a Duivel ...no I mean Duvel! ;)


Auntie Anneke,
Don't forget that Noah will be sent with a bag of Toys that make Noise when he comes to stay with you - be kind to our ears! :))
Heeeeelp, mijn twee mannekes zijn klussers!